Monday, May 21, 2007

squirrels. not so very merge related.

We have had a rash of dead squirrels on the corner of our front yard, under a big oak tree. I noticed three at once, and then a month later, one alone. They don't appear to have been hit by cars. They land on the ground spreadeagled, usually on their backs. The most reasonable (and least paranoid) explanation I have come up with is that there must be two electrical wires up there close enough together that occasionally the squirrels manage to touch the two of them and they fry. It's not attractive, the dead squirrels in the yard, but I am not eager to go and pick them up. You can see fleas crawling all over them, and the maggots move in quickly. I don't want to go near. I like to imagine that it also keeps the dogs and their owners away from our yard, which means less dog poop in my yard. Not too bad. I also have to admit to not being very fond of the squirrels. They dig up everything I plant. When I planted blueberry bushes they snapped them off and threw the little stems on the ground. They dig up my flower beds. They pick my tomatoes, take a few bites, and throw them on the ground. They ate every single cherry on the sour cherry tree just before they were ripe enough to pick. My mother suggested that I call the power company and have them come and fix this situation, but then I told her about the cherry tree....she had her eye on those cherries too.
laura

Labels: , ,

Digg!

2 Comments:

Blogger wendyo said...

The sour cherry thing would have put me firmly in the "die squirrelly, die!" camp as well.

May 21, 2007 at 8:48:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Dan London said...

DON'T TOUCH THEM.

squirrels carry thr bubonic plague.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7007314810

May 23, 2007 at 8:57:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home