Thursday, August 17, 2006

My New Tattoo



When people look at me, they cannot believe that I have tattoos. For those who do not know, when I grow my hair, it goes into an afro and Napolean Dynamite looks like me. I do not look like him, because I was first. When I cut my hair short, people say I look like John Malkovich, but with glasses. And when my hair grows a little, I get many David Letterman references. And when I cut really short like a buzz cut, I get David Cross.

One night I went to see David Cross play in Raleigh, and when I went up to the bartender/waitress to be seated, she looked at me dead on, and said “Yeah right David, don’t you need to be backstage getting ready.” And I told her that I wasn’t David, and she didn’t believe me for about 30 seconds. She didn’t believe it. She said that she would put me more towards the back because she was worried that if David saw me, he would get pissed. Who knows why. Anyway, even after the show, me and my friends went to a bar around the corner from the club, and we told them that I was David Cross. They bought it and got us a free round. Even though I frequent that bar and they know me. We were about to get another free round when the barback and another patron said “hello jack” to me. My cover was blown. Dang.



Anyway, I digress. Tattoos. So yeah, I have 7 tattoos now. I started getting them when I was around 22ish. I’m 36 now. The newest tattoo that I had put on me is something that only a select group of people would know. And it is the ultimate geek tattoo. It is a tattoo of an Umber Hulk that failed its saving throw against the spell Otto’s Irresistible Dance.

You are now probably looking at that last sentence in confusion and radio waves are going on inside your head. What did he just say? Is it in English?

Anyway it is a Dungeons and Dragons reference. Those that play the game will totally understand and laugh their asses off. Those that never played it or played it very little will still not understand.

Now you ask why I would get such an ultimate geek thing tattooed on myself that only other select geeks would understand. I would rather have that then the Tazmanian Devil, some college sports logo, Tweety Bird, butterfly, fake tribal lines, shamrock, flames, Texaco gas star (yes its from Texaco gas), swallows on my shoulder blades (although when girls have those, its hot) or anything else generic that I cant think of.

Tattoos are supposed to represent individuality and something close to you. When you get it, its forever. And Dungeons and Dragons has been forever in my life. I have been playing it since I was 10. And I play it for fun, I don’t do the dress up, renaissance fair type stuff. I play it also to hang with friends. I have been in one group since I was 10. We used to play all the time, even in college. Now that everyone has jobs, marriage, kids, every thanksgiving weekend me and 4 other friends have been getting together and playing this way since 1998. Can you say you have had friends since you were 10 and get together with them once a year and hang out and have a good time?

And now I am playing with another group in Raleigh. And we’ve been doing it for almost two years now, and its great.

So that’s why I got this tattoo recently on me. Maybe in future blogs I will talk about the other tattoos that I have.

My next tattoo will be the Chinese symbol for chicken and broccoli. Ha ha.

Jack
Merge Production Guy
Digg!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jason A said...

That's a really cool tattoo and a fantastic story. Makes me really wish I wasn't so much of a loser that I didn't have any friends that played D&D when I was younger. I've been thinking about getting a tattoo for a while and I've considered getting one of the little dudes in suits from "Old Enough to Know Better."

August 18, 2006 at 10:24:00 AM EDT  
Blogger ohmerge said...

If you get that tattoo, definitely let us know, and we'll post it here!

Christina

August 18, 2006 at 1:09:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home